Saturday, February 6, 2016

Welcome!

Welcome to My Grandmother's Bernina! I am very excited to have received my grandmother's Bernina sewing machine. I learned very quickly that this is a quite expensive sewing machine and that I am extremely lucky to have it. That being said I don't predict any of my projects will require you to have such a sewing machine to follow along, heaven knows I barely know how to use it!

I will be starting with simple sewing projects and advancing to more complicated projects once I feel comfortable enough to do so. I love DIY projects and that is perhaps why I am so drawn to sewing. Just like learning how to work with wood, clay, food ingredients, or even DNA! (I am a biologist by training), fabric offers a new medium for me to create and express my creative energies. Sewing your own items also allows you to pick the fabric/color/pattern you want, make things that fit you and not a "size", and potentially create things for cheaper than you could buy them. But if you are here reading this, you are probably already excited about some form of that statement!

I will also be assuming that you can, through YouTube, blogs, a friend/family member, or books, learn the basics of how to thread your machine, cut and measure fabric. There are lots of great tutorials out there and I am hardy qualified to give advice on these things at this point. It took me about an afternoon to sit down with my machine and get everything going.

In a hobby and professional space largely dominated by women I feel compelled to mention that I am a guy. However, I strongly resist the idea that my gender has anything to do with exciting sewing projects. I will be making men's things for myself, women's things for my fiancé, and plenty of projects like dish towels or pillows that are useful to anyone!

If you find anything I say helpful or confusing please leave me a comment and we can get better together. Let's get sewing!

~Andrew


No comments:

Post a Comment